Saturday, January 10





Having the just gone through the finacial crunch of the holidays, the weekends have been . . . well . . . thrifty. So I find myself watching Star Wars after a very good dinner. Scott (my room mate) cooked a great dish called Swiss Steak, a wonderful combination of beef, covered in flower and tomato sauce, along , with a potato and a side of green peas. Ummm Ummm good. Sooo a Saturday night at home with Star Wars is the course for the evening.

It reminded me though of my college days when Star Wars was re-released into the Theaters. I remember a bunch of us got tickets to see it on a Saturday. Yep that's right we paid perfectly good money to see a movie we could have rented collectively at about 1/30th of the cost, but that's another post. I remember watching the movie and trying to think like those that saw it for the first time in 1979. How would a 21 year old in 1979 have seen this show? How would they have received it?

Now it is important to know that I grew up with Star Wars as one of my earliest memories. So I don't remember a time in which it did not exist. The world of the rebels fighting the federation, Luke, Darth Vader, and Princess Lea, were fond memories. We played Star Wars instead of Cowboys and Indians. So for me the world of star wars was like a history almost. I just accepted it.

I concluded that I have no idea how this film ever made it there were huge risks and crazy worlds. All of which the audience had no idea what was going on. However it did have one thing which I could not duplicate. That was technology. The Special effects were revolutionary at the time, and now watching them 15 years later I had seen the SPFX advance so much things looked a lot cheesier.

It was only until I saw "The Matrix" (yeah I know the sequels were disappointing, but were focusing just on the first movie not the trilogies) in the theater sometime later that I realized what those viewers must have thought. A totally new world with revolutionary SPFX. When I walked out of the Matrix I wasn't sure what I thought, but I thought it was pretty cool.

Anyway no real moral to the story just a random thought.

No comments: