Monday, September 20

In case i missed ya in the e-mail . . .

Friends and Family,
I just wanted to give you an update on several exciting things that God is doing in my life. Many of you know that I have been looking for a position as a Youth Minister here in the NW for the last few months. I’m excited to tell you God has led me to Discovery Community Church in Tacoma Washington. The process was long and at times a little painful, but I’m excited about joining the team at Discovery.

About the Church
Discovery is a relatively new church (a little over 3 years old) in the Tacoma area. We meet in Movie Theater, and reach a lot of 18-25 year olds. It’s very laid back in its approach and extremely community oriented. The church has lots of college students but hasn’t really had a significant “Youth Group” to this point. They have some good leaders that want to reach youth, but just need someone to help focus the vision and strategy.
So starting next week I’ll begin volunteering with the church on the set-up team and getting to know more about the church and the area where we minister. The plan is simply to pray and look for what God is doing and move forward with the leadership at the church. I can’t tell you how excited I am to be apart of this body. I’ve only been to a couple of services and a retreat, but already I’m anxious to grow with this community.
One last thing that I gotta share about the church is the vision statement. It’s something that resonates deep within my soul and it’s not often that I say that as I’ve seen many statements and missions in my young ministerial career. At any rate, The Discovery Vision:

The simple vision for Discovery Community Church is that I and every other person connected in this family could wake up each morning with the excitement and anticipation of encountering God, and each night go to sleep with the satisfaction that we did and somebody else did through us!

Looking for a Job
While I’m extremely excited about the position at Discovery, this will also mean that I need to get a “secular” job to pay the bills. At this point Discovery isn’t able to pay me a salary. While at first I was hesitant about this God has really given me a change of heart. I really am excited about being able to rub elbows with lost people on a daily basis. I covet your prayers though, as I need a job that is flexible enough to allow me to do ministry, and still pays me enough to not worry about how I’m going to pay the bills. Also, a job in Tacoma would be great as it will give me another door into the community. Currently I am still in my position at the association, and will remain there until I can either find meaningful employment or Dec. 31st which ever comes first. The association has been very gracious and understanding during this transition.

The Girl
I have met a young lady here who is incredible! We’ve been dating for about 3 weeks now. Her name is Beth Buchanan; she’s from Florida, recently graduated from the University of Auburn (Correction: Auburn University:)) and is up here for the sole purpose of helping with RiverChase Community Church (one of the church plants that I work with through the association). She took her sophomore year of college off to help plant RiverChase, and came back as soon as she graduated (this past May).
Beth and I have known each other for about 2 ½ years, but only recently “noticed” each other. She shares my heart for the Northwest, loves working with both children and youth, as well as being an avid sports fan. She has aheart for the lost and a passion for the church, which makes for a great ministry partner. While our relationship is relatively new it is progressing rather fast, as we’ll be making a trip to see each other’s families in early October. If you’re in NW Ark. we’d love to stop by and say hi; we’ll be in town the 13th – 15th. I’ll keep ya posted on how things are going.

Thanks so much for your prayers and support. I’d love to hear how your doing and what’s going on in your neck of the woods.


Keep in touch,
Buck

No comments: