Thursday, November 13

“Smells like Birthday Parties” - Heather

“Ahhhhh . . . The sound you make at the end of a hard days work, that or right after you drink a big tall glass of iced tea.


Since I’m not a tea drinker I’m going to have to go with the former. Got a lot done at work today, very satisfying, it was a great day.

The morning was ok, I had an MSRG (Ministry Support and Reflection Group) it’s for a class I’m taking in Seminary. Since I have kind of an unusual job, the team is also kind of unusual (the make up of the team that is, they are all very normal people). It is supposed be a group of lay people that see you minister on a regular basis, usually in a church setting. However I work with a group of churches (about 120), so even the folks I share an office with don’t see what I do most of the time. So it’s kind of hard in that respect, but I tried to get some folks that knew me, so it’s been ok so far.

The meetings consist of me talking to them about what I did the last month or so for about 20 min, then they tell me the areas of my life I need to improvement, as well as the things that I’m doing well. It’s a pretty fair group, if anything they are a bit generous. Yet it is impossible to come out of the meeting with out feeling a bit defensive. I have to remind myself, that A) I asked for the criticism and b) they really are just trying to help. I’m never upset with any of them, but it’s hard to hear your faults, even when you know that it’s true. The big thing that they hit on today was not a news flash at all: I need to work on my grammar. (no wise cracks!)
I’ve known this since 11th grade English with Mr. Boudino. Generally a nice guy he was white haired with a white long goatee, could have passed for a bitnick in his day I’m sure. He forced us to read “The Sun also Rises”, still the worst book I’ve ever read, and told me that my grammar would flunk me out of college. I was very tempted to mail him a copy of my diploma upon my graduation! However, part of me knew that he was half right and I still need to work on it; all that to say, I’m going to let Coqui check my papers and letters before they are turned in or sent out. She said “You know I love to do that kind of stuff.” What?? I honestly didn’t know anybody enjoyed that stuff. People actually enjoy editing others grammar? This is news to me. I’m not sure how anyone can enjoy it, but I’m glad they exist. So here’s to you Coqui!


So after the meeting I had lunch with Jack and Mike, both of whom are youth ministers I work with and buddies of mine as well. We talked about their various ministries and some other random things, but the fun part came at the end of the meal. We were talking about a church that had recently sold some property, some rather prime real estate in fact, to a Mormon church. The kicker of the thing was that there was an evangelical church in the area that had made a reasonable offer on the land. I was appalled that any church would literally sell out a sister church like that for money, especially to an enemy of the Gospel like the Mormon church. I made my distain known at the table, so I’m sure those around us could hear. Long story short as the table beside us got up to leave I noticed that one of the 2 young men wearing black coats had on a name tag. One of those balck name tags you usually see on two young guys in white shirts riding bikes, or walking down the street. YEP, I’m about 90% certain that they were Mormons! I think they were like Secret agent Mormons though cause they had on black coats. Then again it was kind of cold out. We laughed about it, not sure whether we were actually offensive or not in our conversation.

I went back to the office and got a LOT done on my sermon. I still have some fine tuning and details to get worked out, but it’s looking pretty good. This is great because I still have to write a10 page paper, a book report, and edit a journal. It was also the first time in a while that I’ve spent this much time trying to work on one passage for a sermon. There is nothing as exciting as teaching God’s word when you have a message from Him that you’ve been able to workout and prepare well. Truly one of the joys of my life is standing in front of an audience, knowing that God has a message for them and you get to share it. It’s a very gratifying!!

Then the real fun part of the day kicks in. Just as I’m about to wrap up my study’s and head for home; Heather, a friend from church, calls and wants to hang out. I’m all up for it as Heather is always fun to hang with and I want to check out some CD’s. And yes Heather is just a friend (sorry Mom). In fact most of the evening revolves around talking about her boyfriend Christopher, also a friend from church, who is in Spokane doing some work. I had such a blast just hanging out, not a dull moment.

We went by the greatest of all American stores, Best Buy, so many toys so little time. I got the New Jars O’clay CD and a Cademon’s CD.

No idea if they are any good yet, I’ll keep ya posted. Then we were off to Old Navy, Target, Coach House Gifts, and Quiznos/Taco Time, all located in the mall. Got some good deals at Old Navy, how is it Heather was the one that needed to go, but she didn’t even buy anything, while I got some PJ pants and a Fleece?

We then ate dinner, me finishing most of my sub before Heather even takes a bite out of her first taco. Mid way through her 2nd taco she wonders aloud why I always seem to ask her questions when she’s taking a bite of her Taco. To which I retort, cause that’s the only time you pause long enough for me to get in a sentence. She starts to refute the statement while chewing, but realizes the truth behind before she can finish the bite. We discuss more of Christopher, a bit of video games and then head to Coach house Gifts.

Heather is looking for some candles when she runs across Butter Cream. She hands me the candle and says “um smells like Birthday Parties.”


Well that is it smell like cake, and no birthday party is complete w/o a Birthday cake.



So it smells like Birthday parties! I love moments like that, they make me laugh.

To conclude the evening I went home where I watched the latest episode of Survivor, taped of course so no boring commercials, one of only two shows which I try not to miss each week.

Ok well off to Bed, the completion of a wonderful day!

No comments: